University of Central Arkansas

Education in the United States in: Universities » Arkansas

University of Central ArkansasUniversity of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Ave,
Conway, AR 72035
Phone: - (501) 450-5000

About UCA

You belong at a university where you’re part of a community of thinkers and learners interested in making a difference. Where our 11,000 students come to us from 66 different countries and 39 states. Where learning and living meld into one amazing experience and opportunities abound. You belong at a school that is just as unique as you are. You belong at the University of Central Arkansas.

Founded in 1907, the University of Central Arkansas is one of the most affordable options for higher education in the South.

UCA is located in Conway, Arkansas, a friendly city home to two other colleges, earning it the nickname, ‘The City of Colleges.’ The community is accommodating of its college students and loves and supports its UCA Bears. Conway is located 30 miles north of the capital city, Little Rock, and has a population around 57,000. When looking at the six-county Metropolitan Area, there are nearly 700,000 people living around Little Rock, making Conway a small pocket in a large group of people. UCA is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. Lush gardens with seasonal flowers and large shade trees complement the Georgian-architectural style of campus buildings.

Why UCA?

Over the last century, the University of Central Arkansas has become a four-year public institution offering undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees. It is one of the best and most affordable options for higher education in the South. UCA offers more than 100 undergraduate courses of study, 33 master's degree programs, and four doctoral programs for students to explore.

Regardless of where your interests lie, UCA offers programs and extracurricular activities to pursue your passions. Do you enjoy browsing a great art exhibit? The Baum Gallery is an education art museum for students, faculty, and staff, featuring local, national and international touring exhibitions. Maybe you prefer to listen to a world-class music performance? Donald W. Reynolds Performance Hall is a state-of-the-art performance hall bringing renowned dance troupes, plays, and musicians to campus.

UCA housing is top rate, offering 10 halls and abundant apartment housing. UCA has three residential colleges that are co-education living and learning communities that provide opportunities to connect to every aspect of student life. Residential college students are enrolled in the same cluster of classes to promote collaborative learning and have the added bonus of living side-by-side with UCA faculty and older mentoring students.

Do you enjoy being physically active or participating in sporting events? The new HPER center located on campus features basketball courts, volleyball, badminton, an indoor track, exercise class studio, and a fitness center complete with a full slate of cardio and strength-training equipment. For the competitive type, our intramural sports give every UCA student a chance to participate in a competitive sports activity. In fact, sports play a HUGE role in the UCA experience! The University of Central Arkansas proudly participates in 15 NCAA Division I varsity sports: seven men's sports and eight women's sports. As a member of the Southland Conference, UCA competes against schools from Texas and Louisiana. Join the Bear Den and get involved in the excitement that is UCA sports!

Are you looking for opportunities to learn outside the traditional classroom setting? The UCA Honors College is designed to take an interdisciplinary approach to learning and to provide some of our most creative and talented students with the opportunity to fulfill some general education requirements through small classes taught in seminar format.

And this is just a glimpse of what UCA has to offer! Which leaves us thinking...

Why NOT UCA?!!!

Office of Admissions
201 Donaghey Ave.
Bernard Hall, Suite 103
Conway, AR 72035
Phone: 1.501.450.3128
Fax: 1.501.450.5228

Admissions FAQ

Q: How much does it cost to attend UCA?
A: UCA costs are competitive with other state institutions, and the university is more economical than most private schools. Visit our page, Money Matters, to learn more about the financial assistance offered through UCA. You can also access our tuition and fee schedule online.

Q: Where is Conway, Arkansas?
A: Conway has a population of 50,000 and is located 25 miles north of Little Rock, close enough to enjoy its weekend and nightlife entertainment.

Q: Can I receive advanced placement credit?
A: Absolutely! CLEP credit may be awarded to those students who have met the minimum score requirements set by the university, have not already satisfied the general education requirements, and have not enrolled for the course. The university permits a student to take either the general examinations or specific subject examinations to earn college credit for a maximum of thirty hours of general education courses. We offer a variety of CLEP exams in a wide range of subjects from Art to Writing and everything in between.

Q: Where will I eat?
A: Our Christian Cafeteria will have something to satisfy any craving. Meals are available daily from a variety of stations that serve pasta, deli selections, all-day breakfast, fresh market fruits and vegetables, and more. No time to hit the caf? Then head over to the Student Center where you can choose from Deli selections, Quizno's, Chick-Fil-A, Miso, or Pizza Hut.

Q: How can I get involved?
A: Getting involved on campus is as simple as identifying your interest or cause. Whether you want to get a taste of Greek life, help plan student activities, or promote a worthwhile cause, UCA students have developed more than 125 recognized student organizations, so there's no excuse for not getting involved.

Q: Should I live on campus?
A: Studies show that freshmen who live on campus, as a whole, attain a higher grade point average than freshmen who don't. On campus, there is a greater access to the library, computer, and study labs and greater interaction with faculty. Freshmen are required to live on campus their first year, unless they meet one of seven exemption criteria. For housing info, visit or call (501)450-3132.

Q: How can I stay active?
A: The Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) Center features basketball courts, volleyball and badminton courts, a walk/jog track, an exercise class studio and a fitness center complete with a full slate of cardio and strength training equipment. Visit them at

Q: What about my laptop?
A: While UCA's laptop initiative is designed to enhance the classroom experience, we know you will want to check your online social networks from time-to-time as well. From almost anywhere on campus, UCA's wireless network allows you to complete homework assignments, e-mail professors, watch videos, stream music and more.

Q: How will I find out if I'm admitted?
A: Once we receive your admissions application, high school transcript, ACT/SAT scores, other college transcripts and proof of immunizations, admissions officers will review your application. It typically takes about four weeks for approval and notification. We will notify you with a letter in the mail to let you know your admission status with UCA.

Contact Us

Office of Admissions

201 Donaghey Avenue

Conway, AR 72035-5003



Fax (501)450-5228

Email: [email protected]

Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Message from the Provost and VPAA

Lance R. Grahn, Ph.D.

Welcome to academics at the University of Central Arkansas. The UCA faculty and academic staff are proud of the University’s rich educational traditions, our current vibrancy, and our aspirations for the future. And, as the chief academic officer, I am pleased to invite you to look further into our community of student and faculty scholars. So, whether you are a prospective student considering UCA for one of its many excellent programs or a faculty member looking for a particular form, my colleagues in the Provost’s Office and I would be glad to help you find the information you seek.

Teaching, learning, and mentoring are hallmarks of the student experience at UCA for undergraduates and graduate students alike. Our faculty enhance our state and the world by their engagement with students as teachers, mentors, advisors, and role models; by their own learning through research and creative activities; and by their professional and community service. Together, students and faculty form a collaborative community of scholars that sets UCA apart as a singular collegiate experience. We value academic excellence, professional distinction, and civic responsibility. We respect our localities and embrace a global vision. We believe in the university’s mission to prepare students for meaningful careers, leadership roles, and life-long learning and to foster the same among our faculty and alumni. So explore the links on this page, and let us know how we can help you fulfill your dreams at UCA.

Lance Grahn, Ph.D.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
University of Central Arkansas
Wingo Hall, 213
201 Donaghey Ave.
Conway, AR 72035
(501) 450-5073
[email protected]

Graduate School


The Graduate School supports the vision, mission, and core values of the University of Central Arkansas. In doing so, the Graduate School
• Promotes intellectual excellence at the advanced levels of academic learning
• Serves multiple communities through professional and training activities
• Recruits and retains a highly qualified and diverse graduate student body
• Promotes integrity through ethical and responsible behavior in faculty, staff, and students

The Graduate School supports doctoral, specialist’s, master’s, and certificate programs of distinction in a variety of fields. These excellent programs help graduates acquire the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to become productive members of their chosen fields. The Graduate Council, a representative body of the graduate faculty, assists the Graduate Dean in establishing policies and standards for graduate education.

In keeping with its mission, the Graduate School has as its central purposes
• To approve curricula and admission, retention and completion standards for individual programs;
• To stimulate and support creative, scholarly and research activity through the University Research Council and the Office of Sponsored Programs;
• To approve standards of appointment for members of the Graduate Faculty;
• To advocate for graduate education within the Division of Academic Affairs and other levels as appropriate; and
• To work collaboratively with individual graduate programs and the UCA Office of Planning and Assessment to support program self-assessment and external review.

Graduate School Office
201 Donaghey Avenue
Torreyson West, Romm 328
Conway AR 72035
(501)450-3124 phone
(501)450-5678 fax

General Requirements for Graduate Study

[1] Minimum Semester Hours

The candidate must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours in courses for which graduate credit is given. Graduate credit will be given for 5000-, 6000-, 7000 and 8000-numbered courses. A minimum of 15 semester hours of 6000-level courses are required for the master's degree. No course below the 5000-level may apply toward a graduate degree.

Undergraduate courses may not be repeated at the graduate level with the expectation of credit. Any student taking a graduate course which is double listed with an undergraduate course must do work of graduate caliber to receive graduate credit. No credit may apply toward a graduate degree unless it is included in the student's approved program of study.
[2] Residence Credit

The candidate must take a minimum of 24 credit hours at UCA. Acceptance of transfer credit does not reduce the minimum residence requirement of 24 hours.
[3] Grades and Quality Points

Grades of A, B, and C will allow students to receive graduate credit representing 4, 3, and 2 quality points, respectively. Grades below C are recorded and are considered in determining the quality-point ratio but are not accepted toward completion of the graduate program.

All grades, once reported, remain a matter of permanent record and are used in calculating the cumulative GPA. Any appeal or question concerning an assigned grade must be made within one calendar year from the time the grade was awarded.

Calculation of the graduate grade point average includes all residence course work attempted. No transfer credit grades are used to calculate the cumulative GPA.

A graduate student is expected to maintain a cumulative 3.00 average. A student whose cumulative grade point average is less than 3.00 is on academic probation. In the next semester or summer term in attendance, the student should achieve a cumulative 3.00 or at least show meaningful improvement towards a 3.00 GPA. If the cumulative 3.00 is not met or meaningful improvement shown, the student is ineligible to continue graduate studies at UCA.

A GPA of 3.00 or above is required for graduation. Up to six hours beyond the degree requirements can be used to meet this GPA, but all such hours must be approved by the student's advisor.

The grade of X (incomplete) is given only if satisfactory completion of the remaining course requirements can result in a passing grade for that semester's work. An X grade is not computed in the GPA. One calendar year is the maximum time limit for removal of an X grade except in independent study courses and theses. If one year passes and the X has not been removed, the grade is changed automatically to an F. An individual instructor may specify a shorter time period for removal of an X. The instructor is required to state, in writing, the requirements for removing the grade of X at the time it is assigned. One copy of the requirement is to be given to the registrar, one to the student, and one to the department chair; one copy is retained by the instructor. Failure of the student to meet these requirements may result in the X becoming an F. A student may not re-enroll in a course for which an X is in effect. No student may be cleared for conferral of a graduate degree until all incomplete (X) grades have been removed.

To obtain the qualitative index of a student's scholarship, the total number of quality points (QP) accumulated is divided by the total number of semester credit hours (SCH) attempted to give the ratio known as the grade point average (GPA): QP C7 SCH = GPA. For example, if a student has earned 96 quality points on 30 semester hours attempted, the GPA is 3.20 (96 ÷ 30 = 3.20). The following table shows quality points earned for each letter grade:

A = 4 quality points per credit hour (12 for a 3-hour course)
B = 3 quality points per credit hour (9 for a 3-hour course)
C = 2 quality points per credit hour (6 for a 3-hour course)
D = 1 quality points per credit hour (3 for a 3-hour course)
F = 0 quality points per credit hour (0 for a 3-hour course)
[4] Attendance

Attendance and tardiness are primarily a student-teacher-class issue, but the university has an interest in the proper fulfillment of such obligations by the student. In the case of absences indicating that the student has been negligent about class attendance, registration in the given class may be canceled and a grade of WF (Withdrawn Failing) recorded; in flagrant cases the student may be suspended from the university.
[5] Full-Time and Maximum Course Loads

A student who carries 9 or more graduate hours in any semester is considered a full-time graduate student. A student who is enrolled in 3 or more semester hours in a 10-week summer session is considered a full-time graduate student. The maximum study load for a student shall be 15 hours for each semester and 6 semester hours for each summer term. Permission to take more than a maximum credit load requires written approval of the student's advisor, the department chair, and the graduate dean.
[6] Advisement

At the time of admission to graduate study, the student is assigned to an advisor who is a regular faculty member in a department offering graduate work in the student's field of specialization. The graduate advisor will be responsible for
Helping the student plan a unified and balanced program of study adapted to the student's particular interests, needs, and abilities and directed toward the student's field of specialization;
Recommending the student for degree candidacy; and
Assisting the student's progress toward satisfactory completion of the program of study.

Graduate students are encouraged to make appointments with their advisors each semester of enrollment. Non-degree students will be assigned an advisor by the graduate school.
[7] Thesis/Dissertation

Departments determine whether they require, or provide an option for, master's students to submit a thesis. All PhD candidates will complete a dissertation. The Thesis and Dissertation Preparation Guide outlines the general timeline, policies, and procedures for producing a thesis or dissertation at the University of Central Arkansas. It is important to read and understand fully the contents of the manual, which is available from the Graduate Office or on the Graduate School web site at The student must allow sufficient time for conducting the research and writing the thesis or dissertation.

Students and faculty will comply with all university policies regarding research and the use of human subjects and animals in research.

Continuous Enrollment: Students submitting a master's thesis must register for at least one hour of graduate thesis credit each semester (Fall, Spring and Summer) after enrolling in their first thesis course. Doctoral students must register for at least one hour of dissertation credit each semester (Fall, Spring, and Summer ) following approval of dissertation proposal until the work is completed, whether the student is in residence or away from the campus.
[8] Appeal Procedures

Appeal procedures for graduate students related to grades, student educational records, academic policy/requirements, and professional program selection are outlined in the Student Handbook.
[9] Academic Integrity

Integrity in scholarship and research is an essential characteristic of our academic life and structure in the university. Any activity that compromises the pursuit of truth and the advancement of knowledge besmirches the intellectual effort and may undermine confidence in the academic enterprise. The Graduate School expects students to conduct their academic endeavors with honesty and integrity. The definition of academic misconduct and appeal procedures for graduate students who are accused of academic misconduct are specified in the Student Handbook. UCA's Policy for responding to allegations of research misconduct is on the web at
[10] Policy on Research with Human Subjects

Graduate or undergraduate student research projects may involve the use of human subjects. “Human subject” is defined as an individual about whom an investigator conducting research obtains (1) data through intervention or interaction with the individual or (2) identifiable, confidential information about the individual. Both federal and university regulations require that all proposed research projects involving human subjects be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board prior to the initiation of such studies.

Specific information regarding procedures for obtaining appropriate review of proposed research projects involving human subjects is available from the office of the dean of the student's college, the Graduate School, the Office of Sponsored Programs, or Sponsored Program's web site at
[11] Policy on Intellectual Property

University policy on intellectual property applies to all graduate students. An invention or discovery resulting from projects supported in whole or in part by funds, personnel, or facilities provided by or administered by the Board of Trustees of the University of Central Arkansas is the property of the university. The university has a policy of sharing with the inventor any income derived from such discoveries. Information on UCA's Intellectual Property Policy is available on the web at
[12] Statute of Limitations

All requirements for a master's degree must be satisfied within six consecutive years and for a doctoral degree within ten consecutive years.
[13] Second Master's Degree

Subject to review by the graduate dean, college dean, department chair, and program advisor, students holding valid master's degrees from accredited graduate institutions, including UCA, may apply no more than six hours of approved course work completed as a part of the first master's degree toward a second master's degree. Transferring these six hours for specific courses in the program for the second master's degree will be indicated in writing as the program of study is prepared by the program advisor. These courses and those for which they substitute must be approved by the department chair. All remaining courses applied to satisfy the requirements for the second master's degree must be taken in residence at the University of Central Arkansas.

The second master's degree will be subject to the general regulations governing master's degrees except as stated above.
[14] Maintenance of Standards

The university reserves the right to deny further attendance to a student who lacks the personal qualities, professional characteristics, or scholastic attainments essential for success. Such a student desiring to re-enroll will supply the university with evidence that the difficulties have been corrected.
[15] Withdrawal Policy

A student may officially withdraw from a course or the university so long as the withdrawal is within the dates specified in the academic calendar for the semester. If a student withdraws from a course or the university during the change-of-course period, no grade will be recorded.

After the change-of-course period, a withdrawal grade (W - Withdrawn, WP - Withdrawn Passing, or WF - Withdrawn Failing) will be recorded according to the deadlines specified in the academic calendar for the semester and, when applicable, at the discretion of the course instructor, so long as the course instructor has not already dropped the student for non-attendance.

If a student discontinues attendance without officially withdrawing, an instructor may drop the student for non-attendance and report a withdrawal grade, but must do so by the deadline date for a student to officially withdraw with a WP or WF specified in the academic calendar for the semester

Education USA - For Students: University of Central Arkansas