University of Arkansas Fayetteville

Education in the United States in: Universities » Arkansas

University of Arkansas FayettevilleUniversity of Arkansas Fayetteville
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
Phone: (479) 575-2000
School Information: Director of Admissions: Dawn Medley

Why should you come to the University of Arkansas? Look at our students, faculty, graduates and facilities. We think it's an easy choice.

Who will be sitting in the desk next to you?

Students at the University of Arkansas engage in research, invention and development — even the undergraduate students — and so could you. The university has more than 200 programs of study, from history to engineering, from drama to geosciences, from accounting to logistics, from animal science to landscape architecture, and everything in between. More than a fourth of our students take classes abroad during their college career, but they call the University of Arkansas home.

Where will you live while at Arkansas?

On campus, residential halls provide a warm home away from home, and the Arkansas Union gives all students social opportunities to meet outside the classroom. You can also exercise with friends at the campus fitness center, on the indoor climbing walls or in the Olympic-size pool. And the Ozark National Forest and the Buffalo National River are a stone’s throw away.

Who will be your teachers and mentors?

Professors at the University of Arkansas explore life on Mars, imagine new ways of expressing art, and challenge the old methods of health care, education, commerce, and agriculture. When Bill and Hillary Clinton taught law at the university, they weren’t yet known on the national stage, but they had a contagious energy and passion that spread to their students. Today, professors with the same drive and spirit are teaching courses at the University of Arkansas and inspiring students like you to change the world.

Who do you want to become?

University of Arkansas graduates are the chief executive officers of national and international companies. They win national and international awards for their creative writing. They nurse the current generation and teach the next. If your goals have more personal meaning -- perhaps you want to bring clean drinking water to the forests of South America or deter genocide in sub-Saharan Africa -- you’ll find professors at the University of Arkansas who are experts in those fields and can show you how. You can set any goal at the University of Arkansas and achieve it. The learning requires discipline, desire and inspiration, but that’s what our professors bring to the table.

Admission Requirements

Students interested in applying to the University of Arkansas for the fall semester are urged to apply through the early admission process. By applying early, students take advantage of scholarship, housing, and orientation privileges; however, regular fall applications will be accepted until August 1.

Automatic Admission for New Freshmen
High School GPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale
20 or higher on the ACT (930 SAT, combined critical reading/verbal and math scores only)
Must have completed or be in the process of completing the 16-unit preparatory core

Students not meeting these criteria are still encouraged to apply and will be reviewed for possible admission by the University of Arkansas’ Admissions and Appellate Board.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the students like at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville?

They are students seeking academic excellence, extracurricular accomplishment, and personal advancement through education, research, and campus activities.

They think independently and respect freedom of expression. As a body, they reflect a commitment to diversity in a variety of ways: ethnically, culturally, geographically, and in their choices of academic majors.

The University of Arkansas is one of only five institutions in the nation to have three students selected as "Barry Goldwater Scholars" and two as "Truman Scholars." The other four are Harvard, Radcliffe, Columbia and Duke!

Where will I live on campus?

There are many diverse on-campus housing options for freshmen, who are required to live on campus during the first year here (unless they´ll be living with family members). Residence life allows you to make some of the best friends you´ll stay in touch with for a long time, and you´ll be able to become involved in a lot of fun activities located close to your Residence Hall.

Students participating in the honors program or holding a Sturgis, Bodenhamer, or Chancellor's scholarship are encouraged to consider living in an Academic Honors Area.

Also, students majoring in Architecture or Engineering may choose to live in areas designated for their particular majors. Other options are available as outlined in the Residence Life and Dining Services contract book.

Students knowing who they want for roommates should submit their housing contract at the same time, designating preferences for each other. Assignments are made on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Regardless of where a student lives, he or she can expect the support of a professional staff dedicated to providing an on-campus experience that will promote academic excellence and personal growth. Click here to visit our Housing website.

What about Financial Aid and Scholarships?

The University is committed to assisting every student in finding the means to afford an education here whether it's through one of our many scholarship programs or by a combination of loans, grants, and/or work-study opportunities. We will do everything possible to assist every student.

Our academic scholarships are awarded between February and April to the accepted students with the best grades, strongest curriculums, most competitive standardized test scores, and the strongest indications of leadership potential and community involvement.

Our counselors are always available to work with students and their families to come up with a plan for financing their U of A education. We encourage students to come and talk with us if they ever feel that finances will get in the way of their enrolling or staying in school. Click here to learn more about Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Can I find a job?

When approached wisely, working while in school can be a wonderful opportunity. We recommend that students first seek part-time employment on campus. If a student is on financial aid, "work-study" may be a part of the aid package. The Financial Aid Office (in Silas Hunt Hall) has a list of jobs available for these funds.

Other students may also work on campus as regular part-time employees. In both areas, the range of jobs is huge--from library work to answering telephones to assisting faculty in their labs. To learn about some of these opportunities, call our campus employment hot-line at 575-jobs or view the listings online.

The surrounding community provides opportunities as well. In a friendly and safe community, several Fortune 500 companies offer students professional experiences.

When do I register for courses?

When students arrive for new student orientation, they are able to meet with an advisor and register for classes. This is also when students can find out about eligibility for advanced placement in courses.

Once they are here, students may register in advance before leaving each semester. They have another chance to register before the beginning of classes each semester.

With our online registration system, ISIS, the process is easy and convenient.

What if I need academic help?

College advisors are able to connect students with a variety of academic support resources. Libraries, computer labs, mentoring by upperclassmen, the Enhanced Learning Center and more are available to help all students through the academic challenges they may encounter.

Instructors have office hours, and are available to meet with you about any concerns or questions.

Students should take advantage of all the help that is out there as soon as they recognize the need. Click here to learn more about our student services.

What if I get sick?

The professional staff at the Pat Walker Health Center can take care of almost anything from X-rays to a case of the blues. Primary care physicians, specialists, nurse practitioners, and counselors are on hand to address both routine and emergency medical issues.

Sports injuries, cigarette smoking cessation, and outpatient surgical procedures are just a few of the other things the staff at the health center will help with.

Best of all, the student health fee eliminates office visit charges for students.

How much will it cost for me to attend the U of A?

For the third year in a row, the U of A has earned a place among " America's 100 Best College Buys." Why? Because whether you are an Arkansan paying in-state tuition or coming from out of state, you are getting an incredible bargain for the high quality education available on our campus! Visit our Tuition, Costs, and Fees link for more information.

Considering the earned income value of a degree from the university, the question may also be asked--in the long run, what will it cost if my child does not attend the U of A?

How will I get around? Is a car necessary?

For transportation around the campus and town, the Razorback Transit System is a choice of many students. It serves the entire campus while also providing access to and from residential neighborhoods, supermarkets, local banks, Fayetteville Square, Wal-Mart and the mall, all free of charge.

Freshmen are permitted to bring their cars to the U of A. This is convenient for students who wish to go home for the weekend or explore the local area. Semester parking passes are available to prevent any unwanted tickets.

Will I get lost in the crowd?

The university has often been described as a collection of several small communities. As an outstanding public institution, we haven't lost our student focus. Students have many opportunities to make connections and become involved.

Once on campus, students are immediately introduced to a wide variety of clubs, service organizations, cultural and religious groups - you name it! The residence halls are buzzing with activities designed to connect students with one another in their new "home away from home."

Once classes begin, the small colleges and programs become yet another community in which students can find others with common interests. Click here to learn about some of the fun activities we have on campus.

What about the quality of the faculty and academic programs?

At the U of A, our students have access to the rich resources of a nationally respected faculty and state-of- the-art facilities.

The Princeton Review has designated the university as one of the nation's "Best 331 Colleges." Of particular significance is the fact that the quality of our academic programs has not been compromised by the breadth of those offered.

With nearly 300 academic programs to choose from, our students are assured that there are both programs and faculty to support them in reaching their academic and professional goals.

When do students declare their major?

Many incoming students are unsure as to their major. Courses are designed for flexibility during the first two years. Students are encouraged to work closely with an advisor to ensure graduation within four years.

Some majors are more defined and structured. Students interested in either Architecture or Engineering should decide as early as possible. Architecture students should declare their major at the time of admission and Engineering students should declare their major during orientation.

How will I keep in touch with my family?

Every student living away from home will enjoy a card, letter, or "care package" delivered directly to their hall via U.S. mail. Family members are also encouraged to participate in special events like "Family Weekend." Of course, modern technology offers new and exciting alternatives to "reach out and touch someone." Since all students are provided with e-mail accounts, it is easy for students to send and receive quick notes from friends and family. Within the residence halls, telephones are available in all rooms, and each student can use the voice mail features.

Does the U of A offer any internship or co-op programs?

Our students have access to internship and co-op program opportunities in almost every academic program.

Co-op provides students with a salary along with practical work experience while they attend classes on campus. Students may even receive academic credit for their co-op experiences.

Students also have the opportunity for internship and co-op experiences in countries such as Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Spain and Japan. Students may choose to work in the local area for one of the Fortune 500 companies located nearby, also.

Does the U of A offer career placement?

We provide great career opportunities for our graduates. The training, networking, and the connections students make here launch remarkable careers! Our Career Services department offers all the help a student might need to find a job. We are nationally recognized for producing outstanding employees.

Am I a freshman?

You are a freshman if you have no college credit or if you have earned college credit while in high school or the summer immediately after high school graduation.

Should I pick a major now?

You do not have to pick a major now because courses the first two years are flexible. However, architecture and engineering majors are encouraged to declare early.

What programs are there for incoming freshmen?

There are many programs offered on campus for new and old students alike. First Year Experience helps students to make a successful transition to college from high school by sponsoring different activities.

Also check out Student Life for other activities the U of A offers.

Will I feel safe at the University of Arkansas?

The U of A campus is equipped with the “Walk of Lights” for easy night visibility. However students who wish for additional assistance can contact Razorback Patrol and request a walking escort from 6 p.m. to midnight Sundays through Thursdays. Outside of those hours, UAPD officers also are available for assistance. Another option for both on campus and off campus is Safe Ride, (479) 575-SAFE, a regularly scheduled van service operating from 10:30 p.m. to 3 a.m. Wednesdays through Sundays. Other safety measures include ninety campus emergency phones connected to central police dispatch, closed circuit security cameras and electronic doors requiring security cards for access to residence halls.

The Pat Walker Health Center, (479)?575-4077 plays a major role in teaching students safety strategies. Programs focus on risk reduction, personal safety and the safety of others, including ways students can protect themselves from sexual assault and other forms of relationship violence.

In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, more information concerning safety along with the annual Clery security report can be found at

The Application Process

Apply to the UofA

Application Forms
Apply Online
Graduate Application Form
Application Instructions

International Students
Graduate Application Packet (contains all necessary forms)
Supplemental and Financial Information
Summary of Educational Experience Form
Application: Send a completed Application for Admission (either by Applying Online, or completing an Application for Admission Form) to the Graduate School. Please fill out all areas completely so that we can properly evaluate your application materials. Please use your legal name and specify the exact degree and major you are seeking.
Fee: Enclose the application fee of $40 ($50 for international students), which is required for all new applicants to the Graduate School, including those earning their bachelor’s degree from the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. We cannot accept cash or debit/credit cards.
Academic records: Have TWO official transcripts sent to Graduate School Admissions from each college or university you have ever attended. We need official transcripts from every institution you have attended, even if coursework from one institution appears on the transcript of another institution. Transcripts issued to students are NOT official. If a degree was earned, the official transcripts must confirm the degree and the date it was received.

If you have not yet received your baccalaureate degree, you must submit TWO official transcripts at the time of application. After completion of your degree, you must submit TWO official transcripts showing confirmation of the receipt of the degree.

If you were previously enrolled or are currently enrolled at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, the Graduate School will obtain transcripts from the Registrar’s Office at no charge to the applicant. Anyone who was previously enrolled in the Graduate School, but who is not currently enrolled, is required only to submit an application for admission (no fee) and official transcripts from institutions attended after your last attendance in the Graduate School at the University of Arkansas.
Test scores (i.e., GRE, MAT): If required by the department to which you are applying, have official scores sent to the U of A from the testing agency. The UA institutional code is 6866.
Degree-seeking applicants: Submit the following items directly to the director of the academic program in which you are interested (if required by the department): 1. Letters of recommendation; 2. Statement of interest; 3. Application for Assistantship
International Applicants

In addition to the above:
Be sure to fill in a permanent address in your home country on the application form. It is required for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) program AND send a photocopy of the name page in your passport. It is critical that your name in our records match your passport exactly. If you have not yet obtained a passport, please send a photocopy of your national ID card.
Submit the Supplemental and Financial Information (with verification of funding) and the Summary of Educational Experience forms.
Have the official IELTS or TOEFL score report sent (in addition, submit the official TSE if seeking a teaching assistantship).
Why Does the University Collect My Social Security Number?

A social security number (SSN) is required for administering student financial aid and for reporting to the IRS compensation due to UA employment; failure to provide the SSN may delay consideration for financial aid. The IRS also requires the University to provide SSN’s along with other student information to verify tax credit eligibility. In addition, the SSN is used to match applicant records (such as grades and test scores) and to help track student and alumni records, although it is not mandated for such purposes. SSNs are maintained confidentially and used only for official business by the UA and affiliated entities and contractors, including for debt collection. Admitted students are issued a University i.d. number, which serves as the student’s primary identifier and which is different from the SSN.

(AREA CODE: 479)

Accounts Payable: 575-2551

Admissions: 575-5346

Alumni Association: 575-2801

Athletics (Men's): 575-2755

Athletics (Women's): 575-4959

Bookstore: 575-2155

Carnall Hall
Ella's Restaurant: 582-1400
The Inn at Carnall Hall: 582-0400

Cashier: 575-5651

University IT Services Help Desk: 575-2905

Financial Aid & Scholarships: 575-3806

Fraud Hotline (Confidential): 866-252-9838

Health Center: 575-4451

Housing: 575-3951

Libraries 575-4104

New Student Programs: 575-4200

Office of Non-Traditional and Commuter Students: 575-7351

Payroll: 575-4851

Purchasing: 575-2551

Registrar: 575-5451

Scholarships: 575-4464

Treasurer: 575-7508

University Relations: 575-5555

Don't see the number you need? Search our online directories.

Education USA - For Students: University of Arkansas Fayetteville